18 March, 2012

Rust


When I was 10, the girl working at Burger King, told me she liked my eyes; that I was going to be a real lady killer. I was offended. I didn’t want to hurt anyone. I can’t eat artificial grape anything without gagging and recalling a weekend in high school, where I vomited up purple popcorn and grape Maddog 20/20 out of my nose. There is a right way to make a pizza. I don’t think anyone in America understands that. When asked if I prefer Coke over Pepsi, I said I preferred opium. Growing up, I wanted to be a Jedi knight, I still do, does that mean that I have yet to grow up? I like passive verbs when talking about violence. I like violent verbs when talking about passion. My sense of humor is in direct proportion to my rage. I spent a week riding a greyhound bus, with my one year old, ear-infected, won’t stop crying, son on my lap. I thought about leaving him in a restroom in Tennessee. I never told him that. But, I did tell him I had to beg his mother not abort him.

2 comments:

Wayne R. Flower said...

Every poem reveals we are kindred spirits. My friend's mom said to me, "When you're a man, it won't be your body women will like, it will be your face." And around the same time that same friend and I stole Maddog from 7-11's (the thin bottle fits so nicely behind your belt) and mowed lawns. Once I puked and kept mowing. Needed that money for candy. Had to finish.

Wayne R. Flower said...

ps - Your profile says you are a full time air breather. Yet another thing we share in common. Amazing.