08 April, 2012

Origin



I am from clothes smelling of wood smoke
I am from the uncoiling fern shoot in spring’s warmth
I am the rainbow trout caught on creekside banks
I am from the flyrod pocket-knifed from green shoot of yellow cedar
from tying flies of osprey feathers, tree sap and sharpened staples,
I am from hummingbird fields on mountain tops
lapping at the heartstopping nectar of foxgloves  
I am from blackcap, huckle, and salmon
I am from lost lakes where orange bellied newts do the backstroke
discovered by leaving the trail and not worrying about getting lost
I am the coyote howls on clear nights under a forest of stars
only seen in jigsaw pieces through a canopy of douglas
I am from brown bats whizzing at mayflies
and tossed rocks into crystal pools
I am from lichen on granite in morning dews
from cliffs carved by rain and roaring rivers
I am the dampness of decaying pine needles under bare feet
moss gardens in shadowed glens
I am from grasshopper hunting and deer tracks in mud
from wood sorrel belly aches and horsefly bites
I am Fish Creek.

No comments: