17 April, 2012

The Taste of Saltwater

I fell off the boat
man-overboard!
the rescue never found me
the eleven o’clock news put me between
a drunk driver mini-van family fiasco
and a faceless, homeless man beaten to death
8 seconds and then I was forgotten
I drifted on angry, lonely, crested pushes
rocked to lullaby on ocean currents
they went to my funeral
the albatross told me
or was he a seagull
I floated out there
learning to swim
I actually found a rhythm
that made treading water a song
and there were Men-of-War all around
It was the porpoise that taught me purpose
I began to enjoy the taste of saltwater
imagining it to be the creek of dreams and crawdads
I built a religion on being lost
not found, drift wood’s destiny
Sooner or later, I feared someone would find me
and molest the serenity from my heart
I don’t know how long it was. It was forever, enough for me.

Then I found your shore
washed up willingly 
your sandy beach
glittering and warm
I remember waking
feeling the sun on my back, the sun’s heat emanating from the golden sand under my chest and belly
then the tide gentleness delivered me inch by inch on to the island of your soul
I had been so long at sea, that I could only rest, breathing easy smile face rest.
On the shore I lived, never never venturing into your forest, I imagined terrible things there,
I tried to leave little footprints
I sang songs to the sand, to the pelicans,
 through my makeshift kelp microphone,
I worshipped it all
the nights were beautiful stars on ocean reflection magnificence
sweating and howling like wild things
primal

Hurricane season turned out to be a real bummer.
the wind started up
changing directions and forces and always sharp, never wrong
the rains chilled the flesh and made me beg for sunshine
like when I begged for my mother to not really be dead
In the night my hut ripped from the earth
tossed to the sea
I held on to a tree in the storm
not willing to give up
believing in the warmth
afraid of the cold sea
torn from the shore

I floated again
wondering if I would ever see that island
unsure if it would ever be the same
choppy aggressive waves tossing me around
relearned the rhythm of surviving
I'll take my chances with the sharks
sensing a belonging coming over me
I think I can learn to love the taste of saltwater.

No comments: