30 June, 2012

Mesh Matched


Today I released 1500 lady bugs onto my garden. Shook them from their net bag like a salt shaker all over my plants. The little buggers went to town on the aphids! So I sat, rolled a smoke, and watched them crawl around getting away from each other. Spreading out. Finding out how big the world is. And eating something other than dead brothers and sisters ain’t half bad I imagine. Then the miraculous. One sets to fly. I see him buzzing his wings like a boy discovering his first erection. A wondrous new feature unfolding. Up he goes. Hovering at first. Then like an experienced pilot he flies in a large loop around the garden, slowly spiraling upward with each pass. The whole time I am cheering. Saying yes. Giving his voice over. “Oh my god! You guys! You have to try this! It is so much better than I ever imagined.” I exhale smoke and remember feeling like a bug in a mesh bag many times in my life, and then I smile at how well I can fly now.

No comments: